The successes of the second generation of brewers
The first descendants of Haberbusch & Schiele, were just in their thirties, when they started to manage the company. Not only did they continue the traditions of the brewery, but they also decided on some very bold investments. It was during their lifetime that the company grew into that of a beer empire, and expanded its areas of expertise to include new divisions. In 1898, with a share capital of some 1.5 million roubles, the Steam Brewery Association as well as the Haberbusch & Schiele Ice Factory were established, having their headquarters at no. 59 Krochmalna Street.
The second generation of brewers readily incorporated the technical innovations of the era. Oak fermentation vats were replaced with iron ones, and the dangerous open fires beneath the boilers were replaced with an up-to-date heating system. On site, a separate electrical power plant was built, and next to this, a chemical & bacteriological laboratory was constructed. The ompany also revolutionized the way beer was stored. At Chmielna Street an ammonia based cooling system was installed and dry-ice production commenced. Not only was the dry-ice used by the brewery, but also sold commercially. Having access to such solutions, enabled for better warehousing and what’s more, continuous beer production throughout the year. The rebuilt, enlarged and modernized factory had become the largest single brewery in the whole of the Kingdom of Poland and became increasingly important on the European brewery scene.